Franz Conrad Linck was born in Speyer in 1730 son of the artist, Johann Georg Linck. He acquired initial sculptural skills from his father and, in later years here, benefited from training as a sculptor, which he continued in Würzburg and, from 1753, at the Royal Imperial Court Academy in Vienna. Three years later, Linck moved to Berlin to complete his studies with Georg Franz Ebenhecht. At the start of the Seven Years' War in 1756, he returned to Speyer and started to work at his father's workshop. From 1762 to 1766, he was employed as a model-maker at the porcelain factory in Frankenthal, which during the reign of Elector Carl Theodor of the Palatinate – the successor of Max III Joseph – was placed under the supervision of Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg. Even after he left, Franz Conrad Linck continued to regularly supply models.
Franz Conrad Linck was one of the most important sculptors at Nymphenburg,and, in particular, his magnificent porcelain lustre was a decisive factor in winning the support of Elector Carl Theodor. Most figures for this lustre were created as single figures around 1765 and were only later brought together. With allegories to the seasons, the elements, arts and sciences the lustre is one of the most magnificent designs. A similarly extraordinary example of Franz Conrad Linck's work is the large wall mirror with its opulently ornamented porcelain frame.