Eugen Napoleon Neureuther
Eugen Napoleon Neureuther, born in Munich on 13 January 1806, was trained at the Munich Academy and worked there with Peter von Cornelius on the paintings of the "Glyptothek" in Munich. Following time spent in Paris and Rome, he became art director at Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg from 1848 to 1856. During this period of greatest creativity, he designed around 400 different services and vessels for Nymphenburg.
Neureuther's designs in the historicist style cite gothic motifs and ornaments. The arabesque constitutes their basic aesthetic element. It becomes the link between different narrative motifs in his work. He designed the hunting service for King Max II at Schloss Hohenschwangau along with uncounted reliefs, busts and wall coverings. For example, the presentation side of the Maximilian Museum is almost entirely adorned with Nymphenburg terracotta and stoneware. In 1851, Neureuther's tankards, the "mugs in the old-German style", were shown at the world exhibition in London. Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg to this day continues to present its traditional figures of the BRAUBÜRSCHEN, HOFBRÄU-HAUSKELLNERIN and the RETTIGWEIB.