Josef Wackerle, born in Partenkirchen in 1880, trained as a sculptor at the School of Applied Arts and Art Academy in Munich. In autumn 1905 the collaboration with the Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg began, which lasted for over 50 years. Wackerle designed the first majolica garden figures and magnificent ornamental birds for the World's Fair in Brussels, which still adorn the Botanical Garden in Nymphenburg to this day. In 1909 he was appointed to the arts and crafts school in Berlin. In 1917 Richard Riemerschmid, organizer and director of the Munich School of Applied Arts, brought him back to Munich as a teacher. From 1923 he became a professor at the Munich Art Academy. For the German Trade Show, Josef Wackerle designed a majolica temple with life-size symbolic figures from four continents which can still be found in the Bavarian National Theater.